Known for being charismatic, MSG (Ret) Howard “Mad Max” Mullen served as an Army Ranger Instructor during the mid 80s and into the early 90s. He served in all three of the Ranger Battalions of the 75th Ranger Regiment and was inducted into the U.S. Army Ranger Hall of Fame in 2013. Max was also a distinguished member of the Ranger Training Brigade, a master parachutist (with CBT star) and co-authored the US Army Combatives manual. He has received an infinite amount of accolades throughout his career, including his Ranger rifle platoon having the highest number of EIB (Expert Infantry Badge) recipients out of any other platoon in the Regiment.
Throughout Max’s 26-year career, he served in a multitude of units:
- 75th Ranger Regimental Headquarters
- Co 1st Battalion Ranger 75th Infantry Regiment
- Co 2nd Battalion Ranger 75th Infantry Regiment
- Co 3rd Battalion Ranger 75th Infantry Regiment
- Charlie Company 4th Ranger Training Battalion
- 3rd Ranger Company “Morgan Team”
- HHC 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment (Air Assault), 2nd Infantry Division
- Co 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)
- HHC 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment “Rakkasans”, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)
Though retired now, Max remains active in the tactical community, administers and edits Tactical MilSim Magazine and has also embraced his love of acting, recently playing the role of CIA Agent Duncan in the trailer for BLACK (a web series).Max sat down with US Elite Gear’s Founder and CEO Steve Keefer for another edition of Warrior’s Way. He answered questions revolving around the topics of what makes him effective, what people don’t know about him, what he would tell his younger self and organizations he’s passionate about. To learn more about Mad Max, check out his Instagram page.